Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Bridge!

...or "didge" as Colin calls them. He loves the darned things. In fact, it makes me a little afraid that he'll want to be civil engineer instead of a mechanical engineer. We have a few years to sort that out though. Anyway...

For their Birthdays C&G received from their Aunt Em and Uncle Steve a set of magnetic building toys. I believe that they're supposed to be called "Magneatos" but the kids call them "Sticks and Balls". "Play sticks and balls!" is a frequently heard shout after (or during) dinner. As I'm a fan of building toys, I'm 100% behind this interest. The problem is that I would build towers with the sticks and balls, and the kids (clearly Fraggles to my Doozer) would relish in knocking them down. As I found this frustrating (an un-Doozer-like qualtiy of mine), I decided to stymie the kids by building something they wouldn't want to knock down - a bridge:
DSC_0153.NEF
As you can see, Colin loved it. Particularly at the point where we put a piece of cardboard across the span and he could drive little cars across it. He thought that it was about the best thing ever. Gillian was somewhat less impressed... or maybe she was just tired of listening to Colin lecture on the merits of a good bridge:
DSC_0151.NEF
At any rate, Aunt Em and Uncle Steve scored a winner with the sticks and balls! Thanks for the "didges!"

No comments: