Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Great Pretenders

Wow. What a lame blog month for us. We lost a week to pneumonia and a week to Thanksgiving, but other than that, I have no excuse. We do have some Turkey Day pictures, but I'll have to nag Michael to process them for me so I can blog them. Before the calendar turned to December though, I did want to write a quick note about our new favorite activity....PRETENDING!

What a big step in the lives of Colin and Gillian, to be able to pretend something that isn't real!!! This started the end of October, when we would go to the playground and they crazy kids would totally ignore the slides and swings and head straight for the picnic tables. They would make me sit down and then they would run over to the fence, wave their hands, then run back to the table and present me with NOODLES or BROCCOLI or SOUP! Pretty funny.

Since then, their skills have grown leaps and bounds, especially Gillian's! Some of their favorite games right now are "tending!" Once game they really like is to turn the bottom step into a car and drive. Colin will drive from the back seat most of the time, and Gillian makes sure you click your seatbelt before she drives off. Most of the time we drive to the beach, but sometimes we get to go to Schmo's house (funny, I thought he lived in our house!). Daddy even got them to get out of the car at the beach, run over to the "sand," dig a hole, and jump in!

This week's favorite 'tend game is "Wonder Pets!" The other night, Michael was holding up a blanket like a tent for them and G kept telling him, "Get the wheels!" We were very confused until we figured out that she wanted to find the wheels for the FLY-BOAT. Silly us, not getting that one right away! Once we figured out what she meant, she had so much fun "building" the Fly-Boat. Then she and Colin pretending to be Tuck and MingMing. And, yes, Gillian is totally a MingMing. Their favorite animal to save is a camel, by the way.

I'm thinking that Santa better bring some toys to promote these new skills!!

3 comments:

Mama said...

Wow! That's really cool! I don't think I've seen Ellie pretend play like that, but she does like to play "dress up", which would be similar, I would guess. Anyway, I love the stories you share about your kids. It makes being a twin sound really fun!!

Suzi said...

I loved it when Dash entered that stage! We had a lot of "caves" in our house (under the table, between two chairs, in the dining room if it wasn't the room we were already in, etc). It's amazing what ideas kids will come up with!

Ashley said...

I'm glad you guys are feeling better! That is really cute that they are doing that.