Monday, October 10, 2011

Leaf Walk...with no leaves.

For the past few weeks the kiddos and I have been taking walks in the park for the purpose of "finding leaves." We usually make a loop around the designated "Fitness Walk" paths. The kids like to read the numbers off the fitness signs and climb up, over, and around the benches meant for vaulting, sit ups, and whatnot. It's a nice walk, lots of trees, just about the right length, and plenty of dogs to admire and pet (Colin actually pet THREE dogs last week. That's a breakthrough.)

So, off we go! Notice the bags SPECIFICALLY brought to carry pretty, pretty leaves.
IMG_1762.JPG

See, the leaves are just starting to get nice and pretty!
IMG_1783.JPG

Lots of running!
IMG_1775.JPG

We jumped off the rock sculpture, as usual.
IMG_1778.JPG
IMG_1780.JPG
IMG_1781.JPG

We found some HUGE fungi to check out too. Lots of rain last week.
IMG_1785.JPG

Gillian decided to climb up on a post and tell a story. She never got much beyond "Once Upon a Time" but it was quite cute anyway!
IMG_1769.JPG
IMG_1774.JPG

Lots of fun right? Yes, it was. But what was in the bags when we got back in the car? Each bag held one very battered and bruised walnut. That's it. No pretty leaves. AT ALL. Next time, I'm taking a bag for ME.

2 comments:

David and Debra G. Lewis said...

I love reading about your adventures with your kids! I saw this post and had to comment because I love passing along books that go along with adventures. While we don't have beautiful leaves here in south Texas, I still read this book to my kids. I put it to song and we get real excited about it. We're Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger. It's cheap too :o)

So jealous for your fall weather and beautiful leaves! (and walnuts for that matter) Oh how I wish we were wearing jackets here in Texas.

Patty said...

I love this idea...even though you ended up with no leaves! I just may "steal" this activity to do with Emily, especially now that our leaves are at almost peak.