Monday, July 9, 2012

July 4: 2012 Edition

Oh, Fourth of July. You wonderful holiday. Daddy's favorite, in fact. We cannot let you go uncelebrated. As usual, we made the trek north to participate in the Brockway Olde Fashioned Fourth of July festivities. It was a hot, fun day!

We started our morning off with icing and decorating some cupcakes. The kids had requested that we make "Happy Birthday America" cupcakes. I think it helps them understand the meaning behind the big party. Anyway, Colin decorated three or four and then Gillian did the rest. She likes to sprinkle.
DSC_0002.NEF
DSC_0004.NEF

Once we were all cleaned up, dressed, and greased up with sunscreen (I hate that, getting all clean and then loading on the sticky stuff) we headed down to the park for some playground time and to see what we could see. We ran into lots of people we knew and had some yummy lemonade. And then we HAD to ride the trackless train.
DSC_0013.NEF
DSC_0015.NEF
(They insisted on different colored cars.)

By now it was time to head back up the hill to Grammy's house for picnic time! Lots of friends and family joined us for a yummy feast. And fun was had by all....

Both kids had to sit by Joe!
DSC_0018.NEF

Some post-meal riding.
DSC_0021.NEF
DSC_0027.NEF
DSC_0028.NEF

The adults had other ideas....sitting still and TRYING to stay cool.
DSC_0023.NEF

And then we had the cupcakes! Complete with a "Happy Birthday America" singing!
DSC_0029.NEF

After a cool nap in the a/c we were ready and raring for some PARADE! It was hot and slightly slowly paced, but I have to say, the parade this year was the best I've seen it in YEARS. There were FIVE bands and at least that many FLOATS and someone must have made the firetrucks cool-it on blaring their sirens the whole way through town! Very enjoyable!
DSC_0032.NEF
DSC_0034.NEF
DSC_0037.NEF
DSC_0038.NEF
DSC_0044.NEF
DSC_0049.NEF
DSC_0072.NEF

And some of the action...
DSC_0053.NEF
(The Allis Chalmers is for Great-Papa).

DSC_0061.NEF
Bagpipes!

DSC_0079.NEF
A float advertising a local haunted house...genius, I thought!

Gillian counting her (sad amount) of loot....I kind of discouraged collecting lots of candy. I know, I'm no fun.
DSC_0075.NEF

We stayed until the end of the parade and headed back to Grammy's for bath, snack,and bed. No fire works yet. We were all out of steam by 8:00. Daddy did watch them off the back porch, but he cannot WAIT until we can see them MUCH closer with C&G!

Yet another successful and fun Fourth of July! Happy Birthday America!

2 comments:

tortietat said...

When I was a little girl I heard my uncle talking about getting a new Allis Chalmers tractor. I couldn't understand why everyone laughed at me when I said I would be glad when she got there and I would have someone to play with. Soooo disappointed to learn that Allis was a tractor and not a little girl!

Lori/RachelsMommy said...

How fun! Made me feel a little nostalgic for the fantastic Austintown Parade that went down the main street in front of my Grandpa's house every 4th of July! We'd go over, see all my Dad's family and some of my Mom's, have a huge picnic, watch the parade, then set off some small firecrackers and sparklers at Grandpa's farm. Then we'd watch the fabulous fireworks display that they set off every year at our high school. Sigh...sad that Rachel never got to experience that. Thanks for a little trip down memory lane:). Your pics are great! The kiddos are as adorable as ever! The cupcakes look delicious! :-)