Sunday, November 16, 2008

Stat-O-Rama

So we gave you all of the vitals on the kids back when they were born, but Daddy just found out that the CDC has all of the pediatric growth charts (and underlying data!) on the web. Being an engineer, this data is somewhat irresistible to me, rife with opportunities to plot data from my own children. Not only to plot the actual data, but to eventually make completely fantastic and inaccurate extrapolations. So, shown below are three charts for each youngling: weight for age, length for age, and weight for stature... and because I'm clearly sexist, Colin's charts are presented in shades of blue and Gillian's are in shades of red.

Colin and Gillian's data have some interesting curve shapes due to two main reasons: 1 babies loose weight after birth, and 2 the length measurements made at the hospital were longer than those made at the pediatrician's office. Because of these anomalies I decided to wait for a few more data points to come along before we start our extrapolations showing that each child will eventually reach seven feet in height.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm looking forward to having future data plotted because I'm looking forward to outrageous extrapolations.

The Edwards Clan said...

You engineers crack me up. Mark got into the growth charts too when Nicholas (now 6 1/2) was born. He didn't go as far as you've gone, but it's still funny to me that you both are/were so into checking that data. :o)