Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Blessing

We eat dinner together every night. I think that family dinner time is very important, so it's a rare occasion that all four of us don't eat dinner together. Granted our meals are not relaxing and resemble a circus more than a fine dining experience, but they are important. Kids learn things at the dinner table, and it helps them to grow up strong and healthy, mentally and physically. So, we put up with the stress of dinner with two toddlers!

What makes it worth it? Well, try this story...Michael and I join hands every night before dinner (in Catholic style) and say a short blessing (in Protestant style). We may or may not include hopes of good sleep and no asthma; I refuse to admit if I'm that petty in my prayers!

Anyway, the other day at lunch, I sat down with the kids and Colin stuck his hand out for me to hold. I laughed, took his hand, and said, "Do you want to say the blessing?" His answer, "Yes!" So, I said it. He was quite pleased with that and ate his lunch. That night when Daddy came home for dinner, Colin did the same thing again! This time he got me by one hand and Daddy by the other! Again, Colin seemed to be pretty happy to be included. It took Gillian a day or two, then she joined in too! So, now at lunch and supper they both help say the blessing. See, learning already!!!

2 comments:

Mum said...

A beautiful example of learning through example. Amen.

Mary Ann said...

What a great tradition to pass on to the kids!