Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Soaking Up Summer

It's been a hot summer. Really hot. And I really dislike hot. A lot. Still, I feel guilty complaining because I hate being trapped inside during the cold and snow. So, I've been braving the heat and stickiness to take the kids outside a lot more than I would ideally like. It's so good for them and they love it.

Most free (and dry) mornings this summer we go to South Park for an hour or two; we walk, look at trucks, talk to doggies, see the occasional horse, and hug trees. Oh, and playgrounds are big hit. As are bridges.

Near the duck pond and gazebo there is a little pedestrian bridge that the kids really enjoy. We have walked over it repeatedly, and last weekend Michael and I let the kids run over it and explore it. I took them back this week and got a little video and some pictures of them enjoying the bridge!


I think we were still discussing the moon in the sky at this point:
IMG_0548.JPG

Colin gets a closer look, and perhaps kisses the bridge.
IMG_0551.JPG

After our bridge adventure, we hit the path to one of our favorite playgrounds. Known to us as "Shaky Bridge Playground," and you can see why!


I'm not sure why G is so tentative on that bridge. She usually dives headfirst into life with complete abandon. Colin certainly enjoys RUNNING the bridge.

Gillian does enjoy trying to scale new heights. She's been working on this cork screw all summer. She got to this point all by herself this week:
IMG_0557.JPG

Another favorite summertime activity is collecting sticks (and rocks):
IMG_0559.JPG
(G found that bib in the basket under the stroller. It had been in there for at least a YEAR, but she insisted on wearing it that day. Who knows.)

Anyway, we are trying to get our money's worth out of summer. It will be snowing before you know it. Sigh.

1 comment:

Mama said...

Lea - they are so clearly having a great time! I love the videos!! I can't wait for our kids to meet - I think they will have a blast together.