Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pumpkin Fun

The Friday before Halloween we decided to carve our previously picked pumpkins. It was pretty chilly so we put down a tarp in the foyer and just had our fun there. It was Daddy's job to cut and the kids and I scooped guts.

First up was G's "warty" pumpkin. She chose this one and specifically wanted a bumpy one.
DSC_0108.NEF

Apparently warty pumpkins are TOUGH.
DSC_0111.NEF
We had a "tough to cut" contest. My beautiful white and orange striped pumpkin was the toughest (and it was rotten inside, boo), then G's warty guy, and then, the easiest, was Colin's traditional smooth pumpkin. Daddy is going to encourage us to buy only smooth pumpkins next year.

Despite the tough squash, the tops did come off and the kids and I scooped guts.
DSC_0116.NEF
DSC_0120.NEF
The kids did a great job scooping. They didn't really like to touc the stuff with their hands (I LOVE that stuff), but they did a really persistent job with their spoons. Colin was cracking me up as he was working, he has talking and talking and talking to his pumpkin. I can't remember exactly what he was saying; he was just making small talk.

Next up, the kids told Daddy what kind of faces they wanted. They picked which shapes to make the eyes and nose, and then what kind of mouth they wanted (happy, sad, scary, surprised).
DSC_0124.NEF
DSC_0128.NEF
DSC_0134.NEF
Colin picked "Suprised" Jack O'Lantern this year. I like it.

DSC_0137.NEF
DSC_0140.NEF
Gillian chose a "Happy Jack O'Lantern" for her bumpy guy!

So, 2011 Halloween Jack O'Lanterns!
DSC_0142.NEF
DSC_0146.NEF
Goofy kids! Cute pumpkins though.

3 comments:

Mama said...

I love them! The warty pumpkin is cool! Looks very witchy! I wish I could see your striped pumpkin - sounds cool looking.

Lori/RachelsMommy said...

Cute! I want to see your striped pumpkin too:)...

Lisa said...

I love that first photo... it looks like Gillian is overseeing things and if Michael doesn't do it right, he's gonna get smacked with that spoon!