Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Kick Off to Summer!

What a weekend! Last Friday was my birthday. It was a good one. A very good one! GraGra and Papa Greg came down on Thursday night and whisked the kiddos away with them on Friday morning. Honestly, the kids were so excited that they couldn't get away fast enough! I barely got an "I love you" and a kiss! Gillian even yelled at me from the car, "SHUT MY DOOR!!" Ok then.

So I took the opportunity to do some fun things for myself and take the cats to the vet. That wasn't fun. But I did have lunch OUT by myself, a coffee treat, and a pedicure! Then Daddy and I went O-U-T to a concert. We saw the Avett Brothers with Matt and Rachel. The concert was phenomenal! It was one of the BEST live shows I've ever seen. The weather was perfect, we had some drinks, some good company, and awesome music! Then we spent Saturday on house projects that have been piling up and again treated ourselves to another gorgeous night out with friends! Honestly, we lived the foot-loose and fancy free life for about 48 hours and we enjoyed it so much. It was recharging and SO relaxing. Well, minus the painting that Daddy did!

But, Sunday morning we headed north to collect our cherubs! They had been having a blast with GraGra, Papa Greg, Grammy, and Papa Frank. And, as my mom told me, getting "slightly out of control." By Sunday, Colin was a bit weepy and even Gillian admitted that she missed Mommy and Daddy. We got big grins and hugs when they saw us after church!

After lunch and nap, we were ready to PLAY and welcome in summer with a family picnic! The kids have extra fun with my Mom's side of the family because there are other little kids to play with! It was so neat to see my two running around, covered in dirt, bare feet, screaming with my cousin's two kids until almost dark, just like I used to do with my cousins when I was little.

Great-Papa drove his side-by-side "Gator" truck up over the hill to GraGra's house for dinner. He had just finished up something in the field. The kids wondered why his truck was so dirty. Because it's a FARM, kiddos. They are dirty.
DSC_0072.NEF
DSC_0076.NEF
Matt took us for a ride in the Gator too. They seemed to really like it, though they held on TIGHT.

We also served up the kid's first ice cream cones! They've had lots of ice cream, but for some reason we've never served it to them in a cone. Oh yeah, perhaps because it's a TOTAL MESS.
DSC_0083.NEF
DSC_0086.NEF
DSC_0087.NEF

On Monday we went for a quick swim with Dickiedoo and Noonie, then headed to Grammy and Papa Frank's house for more picnic. Somehow those events are picture-less. By that time, we had two very, very tired children. They were just totally spent, between the fun times, less sleep than normal, and the HOT, HOT weather it was just too much. Despite that, neither of them slept more than 45 minutes on the ride home. They were in bed before 7:00 on Monday though! We're still feeling the "after shocks" of time with grandparents plus too little sleep.

Totally worth it.

Welcome summer. Let's hope it's ALL as good as the start.

No comments: